• McKinney Vento-Homeless Assistance Education


    Mental Health Resources

    Community Resources

    Texas Education for Homeless Children and Youth

    Guidance for Students Experiencing Homelessness

    HJ Hunger Initiative



    Displaced Students - Students Impacted by Loss of Permanent Housing

    If you are living in a motel/hotel, shelter, car, abandoned building, in the park, or staying with another family due to an urgent need for temporary shelter as a result loss of permanent housing (i.e. eviction, foreclosure, fire, flood, violence, natural disaster, devastating hardship, etc.,) your children may still be eligible to enroll in school.

    Because your situation will require further evaluation, please contact/visit the nearest school office or contact/visit the Student Services Department at the Administration Building located at 520 West Herring Street, Sour Lake, Texas 77659 - Phone: 409-981-6400 to receive assistance with enrollment. You may also download the residency evaluation questionnaire.

    Download the Student Residency Questionnaire here:       



    Students Who are Homeless (All Grade Levels)

    A parent is encouraged to inform the district if his or her child is experiencing homelessness. District staff can share resources that may be able to assist families.

    Please also check the campus website for information related to services available in the area that can help families who are homeless.

    For more information on services for students who are homeless, contact the district’s homeless education liaison, Darrell Westfall,, Director of Human Resources of Student Services, at 409/981-6400.

    A Student Who Is Homeless

    A student who is homeless will be provided flexibility regarding certain district provisions, including:

    • Proof of residency requirements;

    • Immunization requirements;

    • Educational program placement (if the student is unable to provide previous academic records or misses an application deadline during a period of homelessness);

    • Credit-by-examination opportunities at any point during the year (if the student enrolled in the district after the beginning of the school year), per State Board of Education (SBOE) rules;

    • Assessment of the student’s available records to determine transfer of credit for subjects and courses taken before the student’s enrollment in the district;

    • Awarding partial credit when a student passes only one half of a two-half course;

    • Eligibility requirements for participation in extracurricular activities; and

    • Graduation requirements.

    Federal law allows a student who is homeless to remain enrolled in the “school of origin” or to enroll in a new school in the attendance area where the student is currently residing.

    If a student who is homeless in grade 11 or 12 transfers to another district but does not meet the graduation requirements of the receiving district, state law allows the student to request a diploma from the previous district if the student meets the criteria to graduate from the previous district.

    A student or parent who is dissatisfied by the district’s eligibility, school selection, or enrollment decision may appeal through policy FNG(LOCAL). The district will expedite local timelines, when possible, for prompt dispute resolution.

    Foster Care Students

    When children can't live safely at home and an appropriate non-custodial parent, relative, or close family friend is currently unable or unwilling to care for them, the court can give temporary legal possession to Children Protective Services (CPS) and that agency temporarily places these children in foster care. Foster care students are still eligible to enroll in school.

    For enrollment/registration assistance, please contact Foster Care Liaison:

    Darrell Westfall | 409.981-6400